Sunday, April 02, 2006

Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

Yes, yes, you've all heard about the ridiculous amount of rain which Israel has been experiencing over the last 24 hours, but hopefully all of you have read about it from the dryness of your own home. I cannot say the same. Living in an old Arab house had its charms and advantages, but remaining dry and non-leaky ain't one of them.

I woke up this morning and went downstairs to make myself a cup of coffee. That plan stopped as soon as I placed my food squarely in the middle of the HUGE puddle in front of my front door. It actually had turned into a mini-river, as it had cascaded over the entrance, down the two steps into the living room and spread out. Forget the coffee, backtrack, bring towels and begin Operation Mop-Up. Of course this has to happen with hubby out of the picture. My brother in law stopped by as I was mid-mop and asked if water had gotten into our basement. Our apartment is the bottem third of an old Arab house, and the basement used to be the food cellar and well. The conversation went something like this:

Him: Did the water make it into the basement?

Me: Nah, the top step is dry.

Him: I'll just check (pause as he goes down the stairs) Aliza, there is a lot of water down here!!!!

Me: Oh *$%@

My relaxed morning, which was meant to be spent reading articles for class, was a mess of insurance phone calls, towels all over the place and a good friend (who also did the renovation on the apartment) coming over to help out. Hubby kept calling and apologizing that he wasn't there. I stoically informed him that I would be ok, it would all sort itself out, and he could repay me in any form of diamond or pearl jewelry he felt suitable for the situation.

I can deal with a crisis, I'm fairly level-headed and don't lose my cool. I'm very happy that Israel is getting the water it desperately needs, especially at the end of the rainy season when the chance of a decent downpour is slim to none. But really, did it all have to happen when I'm on my own, drowning in reading and assignments for uni (no pun intended) and just when I've really started my post-winter dieting?!?! Come on, I can't even bury myself in chocolate or Ben & Jerry's.

Hopefully, there will be a blog in about two weeks raving about how hubby has lavished gifts and attention on me to make up for his, albeit unintentional, absense. Until then, I'll have to rely on Sweet n' Low Fudgsicles.

Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home