Sunday, April 02, 2006

More Heroes

I wrote earlier how Azzam Azzam has become a new hero of mine. I now have two more names to add to that list - Rafi and Helena Halevy. They were the couple driving the car in which the terrorist exploded himself. The details can be found here. This couple figured out that their anonymous passenger was a suicide bomber and refused to continue, sacrificing their lives to save their communitites.

As the intifada raged, my thoughts would turn to possible heroic situations. My high school was a 3 minute walk to Ben-Yehuda street and there were numerous times that terrorist attacks occured within the close vicinity. What would I do if I saw a terrorist taking out a knife, a gun, a grenade or about to activate an explosives belt? Would I run and hide? Would I shout out a warning as I was running in the opposite direction? Would I try to tackle him/her and prevent the attack like the waiter at Cafit did in 2003? Thank G-d I've never been tested, but Rafi and Helena were. Their choice was clear - they did everything in their power to prevent their friends, neighbors and community from being harmed.

The American Heritage Dictionary defines hero as "A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life". Youths are lauded to be heroic, strong, emulate the heroes of old. But being a hero usually entails nothing glamorous or exciting, but simply being at the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time, and making the right decision.

Rafi and Helena - May your memories be blessed.

Baruch Dayan Emet

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home