Sunday, January 15, 2006

Only in Israel. . .

I spent the morning in the office at one of the dormitory blocks of Hebrew U, helping register students who were arriving for the winter ulpan and spring semester. The dorms officer, "Sarah", and I were shmoozing until students began arriving, and began asking about each other's background. Sarah is Ethiopian, a beautiful, petit woman with chocolate colored skin and absolutely huge eyes, while I encompass your general American stereotypes (blonde hair, blue eyes). Sarah mentioned that she was learning English by reading the subtitles on what I first heard to be "opera". I began enthusiastically expanding upon the topic of musical theater, which is my passion, until a confused Sarah interjected with, "But she's on every day" and I realized that Oprah was the true topic of discussion. Sarah then confessed that she was, oh shall we say, slightly obsessed, and to make a long story short, I helped her realize a dream by aiding her in properly registering on oprah.com and then helping her write a letter to Oprah.

It must have been a sight, the two of us smushed together in front of the computer, Sarah's eyes glittering and my fingers attempting to translate all that was pouring out of her mouth.

Oprah, if you ever read this, please reply to Sarah!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home